Mohiniyattam is One of the best parts of Indian classical dance or folk dance of India. It also comes from Kerala (India) like another classical dance style, this dance form found its name Mohiniyattam from the Mohini word, which mythical enchantress avatar of the Hindu lord Vishnu.
Let’s start exercises at home during this lockdown or quarantine situation, due to Covid-19 or coronavirus all over the world. From the Indian dance world, we want to help you guys to get fit stay fit at home, and try these workouts to make your body strength high to fight the disease. So just start and follow with simple exercises daily at your home, because we need to follow the social distancing to stay safe from covid-19.
warm-ups are the starting level of exercise or workout, so we will do warm-ups in 2 steps. Walk or running and jumping are the best activities for warming ups, so let’s start to know these:
- One Step walk or run: doing this you need to only cross change your legs with jumps and you need to keep gaps between your legs in the same location or you can do this activity in a particular location, so don’t go outside, so by this, you can walk or run at your home the particular location.
- Jumping in one location: jumps with your toes help just pull the body up, and land your body in the same location, by doing this you can warm up your body and boost your blood circulation. just doing this routine continues for 1 min. for doing this you no need to go outside, you can do this at your home
Stretching is a part of body exercise, in this, you need to flex your specific muscle or tendon, to achieve comfortable or elastic muscle tone. by doing this we can increase muscle control, flexibility, and range of speed. So we will do stretching in 3 parts Ballistic stretching, dynamic stretching, and static stretching. So let’s know in deep:
- Ballistic Exercise
- Dynamic Exercise
- Static exercise
Ballistic is also known as power stretching, which includes jumping with weights and throwing weights to increase explosive strength. But now we need to do this without going outside, because social distancing, quarantine, or staying at home is more important due to Corona Virus. So we will do it with some Home items, let’s know-how:
- Jump Squats: To do a jump squat, start in the right squat position or jump vertically off the floor, and give back to the beginning position in a controlled way. but we can do this with weighted items, which can be anything like bricks.
- Push Presses: in this exercise, a barbell is pushed upward with the lower body part, by this push helps to weight travel through the sticking spot of a hard press. so now we can also do it same at home with any weighted items such as cylinders.
- Kettlebells: keep the gap in your feet the same as shoulder-width apart, grip a kettlebell in both hands, pull down the kettlebell from the front you face up to down, arms bent, and then the weights are resting on both shoulders. and just bend your knee for a few inches, and as you stand back up, repeat it again, just like squat, now the problem creates for kettlebell, so first understand what is a kettlebell. it is a like dumble, so at home, we can use a brick in the place of the kettlebell, but now the problem is shorted out. now you can enjoy this exercise at your home.
- Arm circles: for this just stand on your feet with keeping a gap, as like both shoulders. then pick up your both hands in line with your shoulders, and then roll your hands or make a circle with hand movement, this will give comfort in your shoulder area.
- Arm swings: for this just stand on your feet with keeping a gap, as like both shoulders. then drive your both hands front and back, same as we move at the walking time, but you need to do this by standing in the same place or trying to control your hand when those are going on the ups.
- Shoulder rolls: for this just stand on your feet without keeping and gap, as like a commando, now you need to make a circle with your both shoulders, by move-in rolling position, firstly roll in front side, after it just rolls them to backside. This exercise will give relaxation your shoulders and make them flexible.
- Torso twists: for this exercise stand on your feet with keeping gap, same like shoulders, pick up your both hands parallel to the ground, now turn your upper body part with your hand on the left side as much as you can, then turn in right side. Repeat it for some time these will give relaxation to your waist area.
- Walking high kicks: this exercise is simple because we all used to do it in our childhood, so now just stand in a boxing position, then try to kick to your head as much as you can, first try with your left leg then try with right one, see it’s so simple. this exercise will give relaxation to your legs and in the thigh area.
- Knee-to-chest: it’s a difficult exercise, but not need to worry about yourself, we can do this exercise in 2 ways, so let’s start:
- So just stand normally and your need to jump with your toe, but when jumping you will touch your chest with your knees, and your can try to hug your knee when then touching your chest, as much as you can.
- in a simple way we need to lay down on the floor, then just fold your one leg, and by catching the knee you need to touch your chest with your knee, you can use some force to do this with your hands, and then try this routine with another leg, or you can do also with both at the same time.
Butt kicks: this is so simple exercise like running, so now we need to do activities like running, during running try to kick your butt and hips, but for this exercise you do not go anywhere, just walk in one place and kick your hips.
Walking lunges: just stand straight up with keeping a gap-like shoulder, and keep your hand on the side of your hips, now step forward with your right leg, by putting body weight on your heel. And bend your right knee lowering down, as your thigh should parallel to the ground, like in a lunge position. Now without moving your right leg, move your left leg forward, or you can move back you’re right backward by repeating the same activity.
Leg circles: You can do this exercise in two ways so just see how you can do this:
- firstly you can do it in the standing position, so stand straight with keeping a gap in both feet same like shoulders, and pick up your left leg by giving all body weight on the right leg, and try to make a circle in your left side with the help of your left leg, and now try this same activity with right leg.
- in the second way you can do this by laying down on the floor, just lay straight down on the ground, pick up your right leg in the air, and try to make a circle in the air, now try with your left leg, or you can also do this with your both legs on the same time.
UPPER BACK STRETCH: stand straight, keep a gap in your feet as like between both shoulders, just interlock your fingers and fix your palms together, and then try to push your hands away from your chest as you can, then your feel will stretch between your shoulder blades. This exercise doesn’t need any equipment.
SHOULDER STRETCH: for the SHOULDER STRETCH you need to stand straight, and keep the gap between your legs, bent slightly knees, move your left arm in the right direction and then hold your left arm with your right arm, which will front to your chest. And with the opposite hand you need to hold it by bending your arm which will make some stretch on your arms, so try the same activity with another side.
HAMSTRING STRETCH: we can start with a simple hamstring stretch, so firstly we need to sit on the ground straight out both legs, now try to touch your toe by extending your hands forwards, but notice that during touching the toe, your knees do not bend or keep your knees straight. And try to hold this position for the maximum time that you can able, then relax your body for some sec and then try it again.
STANDING HAMSTRING STRETCH: you can do this exercise in many ways, so let’s start with one just stand straight, then try to touch your toe with your hand by bending your waist, and hold your body in this position for some time, or you can also try this by crossing your legs. If you are not able to touch your toe with your hands, which is not a normal thing for a professional person who does not exercise, so then they can touch their legs mid.
CALF STRETCH: we can do CALF STRETCH in many ways we need to know all one by one because these can be useful when you are staying at home during the lockdown, so let’s start:
- Calf stretch 1: for this your need a chair, and then stand with one foot in front of the other, your knee should be slightly bent. And keep your back straight, your heels touch the ground, and now try to sit forward by giving weight on your front feet, and hold this position for some time, then you can feel stretched, so now you can try the same thing with another leg.
- Calf stretch 2: for this your need a chair, and then stand with one foot in front of the other, your knee should be slightly bent. And keep your back straight, your heels touch the ground, and now try to sit backward by giving weight on your back feet, and hold this position for some time, then you can feel stretch, so now you can try the same thing with another leg.
- Calf stretch 3: for this, you need some height, so you can try a brick or you can also do this exercise on your stair, so now you need to stand on the height with half of the feet or use your forefoot, then you need to keep down or up your body with the front part of the feet.
HIP AND THIGH STRETCH: stand with keeping widths between your legs according to your shoulder, now turn your legs and body upper part to the right side, bend your knee so that your leg should be parallel to the ground, and note that your left leg should be straight, and keep hold this position and you’re will feel stretch in your legs or hips area, and try it the same from the left side.
ADDUCTOR STRETCH: stand with keeping widths between your legs according to your shoulder, and then bend your right leg and slow down your body by keeping your back straight, or use your arms to make body balance, now your will feel stretch in your left leg adductor, hold this position for some time, then try the same routine from another side.
STANDING ILOPTOBIAL BAND STRETCH: for this, you need to stand by crossing your legs, and then try to touch your toes by bending your body to the front, or you can also touch the floor towards to front of your leg, and need to hold this position for some time and repeat this exercise around 10-15 times.
QUADRICEPS STRETCH: just stand straight without keeping a gap in your feet, and catch your ankle or forefoot with your hand, then try to bend your leg behind forward to hips or try to touch hips with your forefoot, and then repeat it by another side.
- Push-up: as you all know this exercise, so let’s start: Get on the ground on all fours, positioning your hands some broader than your shoulders. Extend your both legs by keeping a gap for making balance on the hands and toes, and keep your whole body straight in a line head to foot, and before doing a push up tight your abs, so start folding your elbow and lowing down until on the 90 deg, then start to get upward by pushing floor until a beginning point.
- Knee push-up: get on the ground on all fours, positioning your hands some broad than your shoulders. Extend your both knees by keeping a gap for making balance on the hands and knees, and keep your whole body straight in a line head to waist, and before doing a push up tight your abs, so start folding your elbow and lowing down until on the 90 deg, then start to get upward by pushing floor until a beginning point.